Want to get involved with Imerman Angels? Check out some of the volunteer & career opportunities we have available!
Imerman Angels is always looking for motivated people to help us out in our Chicago office. Help the Cancer Support Program team or work with our Development team! These opportunities are great for those who are looking to volunteer or further their career.
The Volunteer Cancer Support Specialist is the backbone of our 1-on-1 cancer support service and directly facilitates personalized 1-on-1 cancer support for the cancer fighters, survivors, and caregivers who contact us. The key to success for this position is providing outstanding service. The Volunteer Cancer Support Specialist does this while provide a reassuring, calming, nurturing, and empathetic presence and voice.
The most important objective for our cancer support program is to ensure that everyone who requests a “Mentor Angel” gets the help they need.
Reach out via phone or email:
assessing the support needs of those looking for support and “Mentor Angels” (survivors/caregivers)
Screening, training, and adding potential “Mentor Angels” to our database
referring cancer fighters, survivors, and caregivers to external partner organization as needed
Know proper Spanish medical terminology for anatomy and cancer-related treatments
Provide a “wow” level of service to our community at all times -to cancer fighters, survivors, caregivers, volunteers, partners, donors, and other supporters
Required Skills & Experience:
Bilingualism (Spanish/English) Strongly Preferred
Excellent verbal, written and general computer skills
Organized, detail oriented, self-motivated, takes initiative
Ability to work independently with little supervision
Strong work ethic, a good sense of humor, friendly personality – General Awesomeness
A minimum of 4 hours per week.
If interested in this position, please email your cover letter and resume to:
Make a tremendous difference in the lives of cancer fighters, survivors, and caregivers! The Cancer Support Specialist is the backbone of personalized cancer support service and by working directly with our community to find the best mentor for the cancer fighters, survivors, and caregivers who we serve. The Cancer Support Specialist does this while providing a reassuring, calming, nurturing, and empathetic presence. This position is fulltime exempt. Regular hours are from Monday thru Friday, 9AM to 6PM.
Direct Report: Cancer Support Program Manager
- Register and assess the needs of people looking for support. This is accomplished primarily over the phone, listening to and speaking with them to provide immediate support while determining what is most critical for them in a Mentor Angel.
Help ensure that everyone who contacts us for cancer support always gets the help they need within our established time guidelines, and strive to accomplish our continuous goal of providing 100% satisfaction and WOW! service to all of our constituents.
● Register, assess and train new Mentor Angels, ensuring completeness of cancer and lifestyle information in the database, and accurate Mentor Angel understanding of responsibilities.
● Run database queries to match cancer fighters and their caregivers with the best possible available Mentor Angel(s).
● Stay current regarding cancerindustry events, topics, news, issues, trends, etc.
● Develop and maintain highlevel of knowledge of external cancer partner organizations, services and resources for incoming and outgoing referrals.
● Identify, suggest, and implement improvements to all Cancer Support Program related activities and tools.
● Assist with the Spanish translation of our promotional materials, including brochures, mentor angel guidebooks, and website.
Oranization-Wide Support – You Must Be Able to Wear Multiple Hats!:
- Provide support to volunteer team members, assist with their training, answer their questions.
- Support all other areas of Imerman Angels related projects, outreach initiatives and events as needed. As a small organization we require our staff to pitch in and help in a variety of ways this is part of what makes us feel like a family.
- Share our core values and the vision of the Imerman Angels mission statement
Required Skills and Experience:
● Must have been touched by cancer
● Must be fluent in both English and Spanish
● Must have a passion for helping others
● Others describe you as “compassionate,” “nurturing,” “empathetic,” and “good listener”
● Excellent verbal, written and problem solving skills
● Computer savvy (will be provided basic training for use of Google Apps and Salesforce)
● Organized, detail oriented, excellent at multitasking
● Ability to work independently with little supervision, selfmotivated, takes initiative
● Must be a team player
● Must be able to work occasional evenings/weekends, depending on events/caseload
● Strong work ethic, a good sense of humor, friendly personality – General Awesomeness
Compensation and Benefits:
● Salary for this position is $35K.
● Paid Health Insurance.
● Paid Vacation and Holidays.
● Optional 401K.
Send a cover letter and resume to Vanessa Villagomez at firstname.lastname@example.org.